Newberg Report announcement: December 4 book release party
The 20th and final Bound Edition of the Newberg Report will ship next week (preorders for both the hard copy and the e-Book are open now), and details for the last-ever Newberg Report Book Release Party are set.
- Tuesday, December 4, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
- Texas Live,1650 E Randol Mill Rd, Arlington, TX 76011 (next to Globe Life Park)
- In the PBR Texas space, overlooking construction at Globe Life Field
- Restaurants and bars throughout Texas Live, plus a 100-foot HD TV among dozens of TV’s
- Guests (specific times to be announced):
- Rangers GM Jon Daniels will do some Q&A with us
- Rangers players (both big leaguers and prospects) will sign autographs (stay tuned for details)
- Bob Sturm and other members of The Athletic DFW will be on hand as well
- For sale: The 2019 Bound Edition ($25), plus copies of the Bound Editions from the two World Series seasons ($15 each) — cash, checks, and credit cards accepted
- Admission: Free — but please consider bringing new and unwrapped toys and books to help support the Rangers Foundation’s Cowboy Santas Toy Drive program (we’ll have a dropoff area for toys and books)
Our Rangers guests will sign your Bound Editions (or whatever else you bring — but to move things along we will ask you to limit your autographs to three items per player). These make pretty cool gifts, I think.
This is the last Bound Edition I will write. Thanks to all of you who have kept that part of the project going. I’m grateful.
And that means it’s our last book release party, too. It’s the first we’ll do in the really cool Texas Live space, and the first that will include Q&A with JD. Very kid-friendly event.
Hope to see lots of you there.
* * *
Whether you’re able to make it on the 4th or not, we’re now days from shipping the 2019 Bound Edition for those who have pre-ordered. Sales are off to a really good start, thanks to many of you. You can still get in on that action.
NOTE: This year’s book contains everything I wrote in 2018 for The Athletic. My stories since joining The Athletic are more in-depth than they used to be; the result is that this year’s book is about 50 percent larger than the last couple books have been.
If you place your order now, your books will ship in plenty of time for the holidays. The 2019 Bound Edition is available in both hard copy ($24.95) and in digital form ($9.95), and I have copies of all past years’ editions ($15) available as well.
Among the candidates to consider heaping your Black Friday generosity and thoughtfulness on:
- All those friends of yours whose baseball insanity is on level with yours
- Your spouse (or your Top 10 Spouse Prospects)
- Your kid, if she or he needs something new to read for school
- Your boss and your co-workers
- Your parents and siblings
- Your coaches and teachers and accountants, and their parents (not their siblings, as that would be a little silly)
- Your other relatives and in-laws who love the Great Game
- Your Lyft, GrubHub, and DoorDash drivers, who aren’t supposed to take tips but I’ve seen nothing prohibiting baseball books with content from The Athletic and prospect rankings
- Your clients – seriously, your clients (none of whom need another fruit basket)
- Your Secret Santa assignee
- Chris Woodward, to help him get ramped up
- Emily Jones, who I hear has finally grown a little tired of your temperature gauge selfies — time for something new
- That person who always shames you by out-cooling you with the gift he or she gives you
- That person you want to shame into getting you something super-awesome and unique by beating them to the punch
- All those people on your annual (and perhaps semi-annual, if not more frequent) gift list who “have everything” or “don’t need anything”
You can check off a whole lot of those to-buy-for boxes in just a minute or two.
Tip of the cap to the great Marty Yawnick, who designed the front and back covers of the book, and Devin Pike, who designed everything between them.
Start whittling those gift lists down, and share some baseball.
Happy Thanksgiving and Holiday Season, you guys.